Friday 27 May 2011

From Zero to Hero on Orkney


Edwin Harrold, from Stenness,Orkney, died in 2005, but his legacy gives pleasure to many. From 1948, he took an unnoticed piece of land, comprising boggy hillside, and quietly cultivated it. His 'Happy Valley' - originally called 'Bankburn' - became a miniature forest with 700 trees, glades and paths for visitors to use. Continued access is assured. Read more via the BBC - about a part of Orkney that is rather rare, woodland.

Scottish Islands Explorer - a magazine that encourages access

1 comment:

Richard Evans said...

I organised a group of 14 to visit lighthouses of Orkney and before we could access our hostel accommodation, I drove our hired minibus to Happy Valley. Asked where are we going? I said "wait and see, you'll be amazed". The place is not shown on any maps but I had a vague idea where it was situated. When we opened the gate, our members went quiet and stopped asking questions. They loved it, as I did. Magical, fantastic, a haven. I sat on bench next to Edwin Harrold's wee cottage drenched in warm sunshine.